There is a growing body of research which links toxins to the development of a variety of health conditions but identifying the toxins that may be to blame in patient illness can take some core detective skills.
Dr Mark Donohoe has decades of experience uncovering the toxic burdens of his patients. Today he talks about the complexity of agricultural and urban exposures that can be undermining patient health and shares his top recommendations for health professionals when approaching these kinds of cases.
Covered in this episode:
[01:02] Welcoming back Dr Mark Donohoe
[01:37] Today's topic: Detoxification Detective
[02:15] How big of an issue is pesticide exposure?
[08:38] What is the harm created by pesticide exposure?
[10:48] The impact on liver CYP enzymes
[12:01] Resources for drug interactions
[14:06] How common diet, lifestyle or drug therapies impact the body's ability to cope with pesticides
[14:26] Influencers of detoxification pathways
[20:45] Can we still measure for these pesticides in the environment?
[25:53] Urban exposures
[33:36] Accumulative exposures can begin in the home.
[36:05] Is there any point to testing for it?
[39:40] The microbiome takes the hit first and must be supported
[44:03] Exogenous toxins and renovators' case example
[46:56] Treatment considerations
[52:05] Mark's Top 5 interventions to protect the body during detoxification
[55:59] The importance of being supported by a health professional
Research Explored in this podcast
|University of Maryland Medical Centre Drug Interaction Tool|
|The Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme|
|TGA Product Information (PI) Database|
|BioCeuticals FX Medicine Trade Journal|
Other Podcasts with Mark Include:
- The Microbiome: Beyond the Gut
- The Forgotten Organ: Adrenals
- Methylation: What Is It and Who Is Affected?
- Reducing Cardiovascular Risk
- 2015 BioCeuticals Symposium Review
- Iodine: More than just for thyroid
- Unravelling Detoxification
- Probiotics as medicine
- Pyroluria & Methylation
- The Hibernating Thyroid
- Decoding Health Media: Beyond Hype and Headlines
- Digestion, Biodiversity and Wellbeing
- An Introduction to Genomics in Modern Medicine with Dr Mark Donohoe
- Dissecting Chronic Fatigue: Part 1
- Dissecting Chronic Fatigue: Part 2