Magnesium is famed for its widespread health benefits, with one particular form, magnesium orotate, thoroughly researched as an unequivocal therapeutic for cardiovascular health. Magnesium orotate’s application in this area may reduce the risk of various conditions ranging from mitral valve prolapse (MVP) to tachycardia and hypertension, according to a recent meta-analysis.
This meta-analysis incorporated 19 randomised clinical trials, with a total of 603 participants treated with magnesium orotate over a mean period of 4.2±29 months. Significant associations were shown between administration of magnesium orotate and the reduced risk of conditions including hypomagnesia, first-degree MPV, supraventricular and ventricular premature contraction, paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia and hypertension.
Researchers concluded that magnesium orotate could be confidently utilised in cardiovascular conditions including the prevention and treatment of cardiac arrhythmias, MPV, regulating blood pressure and for improving function of the autonomic nervous system.
Orotic acid, which comprises the orotate portion of magnesium orotate, is involved in the the transport of magnesium into heart cells; improving energy status of the myocardium. This may help to elucidate its beneficial effects in cardiovascular health such as vasodilation, anti-arrhythmia and cardioprotection.[2,3]
Further research has exhibited benefits of magnesium orotate as an adjuvant therapy for patients with severe congestive cardiac failure, improving clinical symptoms and quality of life and increasing survival rate by 75.7% compared to 51.6% (placebo) after one year of supplementation.
Interestingly, it has also been found to elicit cardioprotective effects upon the onset of repurfusion (blood supply return) to cardiac tissue, preserving myocardial function and reducing infarct size. Future research on this protective nutrient may present further advancements for cardiovascular protection, function and ultimately, health.
- Torshin IY, Gromova OA, Kalacheva AG, et al. Meta-analysis of clinical trials of cardiovascular effects of magnesium orotate. Ter Arkh 2015;87(6):88-97 [article in Russian, abstract in English]. [Abstract]
- Classen HG. Magnesium orotate - experimental and clinical evidence. Rom J Intern Med 2004;42(3):491-501. [Abstract]
- Stepura OB, Tomaeva FE, Zvereva TV. Orotic acid as a metabolic agent. Vestn Ross Akad Med Nauk 2002;(2):39-41. [Abstract]
- Stepura OB, Martynow AI. Magnesium orotate in severe congestive heart failure (MACH). Int J Cardiol 2009;134(1):145-147. [Abstract]
- Mirica SN, Duicu OM, Trancota SL, et al. Magnesium orotate elicits acute cardioprotection at reperfusion in isolated and in vivo rat hearts. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2013;91(2):108-115. [Abstract]